It’s not easy being the new person in class, feeling like you have no idea what’s going on. All these feelings are completely normal and it’s okay. Everyone goes through this when they first start Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so every one in the room knows exactly how you feel. Try to stay positive and enjoy the ride. If you keep coming consistently and are open to learning you will steadily improve.
Here are a few tips to help you get started on the right foot:
- When it’s time to roll stay calm and try the techniques you know
- Always keep coming back
- Master the basics first
- Don’t compare yourself to others
- Always be open to learn, even if it’s a position you don’t see yourself using
- If you can’t get the hang of a technique don’t get frustrated, many times it takes revisiting a tricky technique later down the road for it to really feel smooth and natural
- Consistency is key
- Leave your ego at the door and tap when you need to tap so you can avoid injury and train tomorrow
- Train as much as you can, the more you train the faster you will progress
- Enjoy the journey
- Embrace getting beat in training and learn from it. It’s all part of the process
- Ask questions
- Stay present in the roll so you know what works, what doesn’t work, and what went wrong
- Keep a journal and write down what you learned, what worked, and what you need to work on after every training session
- Build confidence over small successes
- Keep good hygiene
- The first month is the hardest. Don’t give up and you will be glad you stayed
- Come to class even if you don’t feel like it
- It’s okay and normal to have some bad training sessions so don’t let them get you down and try to stay positive
- Don’t be afraid to lose
If you are interested in learning more about our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program please give us a call at 858-292-5040 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and get started on your FREE one week trial today.
Click here to check out our online training and get a FREE 7 day trial! New videos uploaded daily and 24/7 access to thousands of hours of techniques, drills, and pro-tips from Andre Galvao and his world-class team!